Tuesday 17 February 2009

Dying

The colour changing kind I mean. I bought Mum a sock blank dying kit for Christmas from Etsy. We got it out today and dyed it up. It was great fun, an almost magical thing, changing a white machine knitted blank, in to a colourful creation. Mum's turning it in to socks as I type and it's looking beautiful. Really gradual colour changes and subtle variation.
First you disolve the dye, this was a bit of guesswork as the pot dyes 2lbs of fibre, way more than we had so I just made it up!
Sock Blank dying
Then you just paint it on however you like
Sock Blank dying
This was the end result.
Dyed sock blank

On the spinning front, over the last couple of days I span this up.
Peacock BFL
300m of fingering weight BFL, occasionally under plied, but buttery soft, I'm really happy with it

No comments:

Post a Comment