Monday 24 September 2007

Thank You

This is going to be a post of gratefulness, I seem to spend too much time moaning about things, but actually I have a lot to be happy about.
Cecily, at I wasted all that birth control has a post up about health care in the US, when you realise that getting a broken arm fixed cost her Mom $1000 (£500), and that medical treatment was on a n emergency only basis , I'm so grateful for the NHS. I've probably always been in a situation where I could afford insurance, but so many people in the US can't, and George Bush appears to want to stop what little help is already available. Imagine being in a situation where your child is ill, but you can't take them to the doctor because you can't afford it?
For that reason I'm grateful for the NHS, because despite it faults, long waiting lists, MRSA, etc. at least treatment is available for all no matter their income.
I'm also grateful for my opportunities, I've just started my PGCE to train to be a teacher, in many countries I wouldn't get that opportunity. I'd have been unable to gain a degree, or even get educated.

So next time I feel pissed off about this country (including how much money I owe the government), I'll try to remember these things, it's not such a bad place to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment