Tuesday 20 September 2011

Clyd

The observant of you will notice that there is a new link in the side bar to the right. My new pattern for p/hop has actually been around for a while now, but life has been so busy I've not had the energy to go fiddling around with html coding to make it magically appear over there.
p/hop (for the uninitiated) stands for pennies per hour of pleasure, and is a fibre based fundraiser for MSF also known as Doctors without Borders. I've been involved in the project since the start, and have donated a number of patterns to them. The basic principle is that you donate based on the pleasure a pattern gives you, and the amount you can afford. MSF is one of the few charities that I trust to spend my money wisely, and the p/hop principle is fantastic (it won an award at the Just Giving awards a few months ago).

A little about the new pattern- Clyd (Definition: Clyd: 1. warm n.m. sheltered n.m. snug n.m. cosy n.m. pronounced kleed. Welsh) is a simple garter stitch headband. I think it would make a great first project for a beginner knitter (certainly better the endless garter stitch scarf). There's no purling, a few simple increases and decreases, and a yarn over button hole.
It also show cases hand spun yarn fantastically, you only need 60m of Aran weight for the whole pattern.

I wear a headband of a similar design lots when the weather gets colder, I have lots of hair, so hats never fit very well, and the shaping on the headband minimises bulk at the back of your head so the headband doesn't end up falling over your eyes every time you look up.

I think they'd make fab Christmas presents (I have a couple of the test knits saved up for just this), if you're a quick knitter you could make one in under 2 hours knitting time (my personal best is just over an hour). I hope you like it, and I hope it gives you pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment