Sunday 12 August 2007

where have all the climbers gone?

The previous post with this title was changed after I errrrr, rather embarrassingly realised that I'd written a post with no real reference to climbing! ooops, obviously this work thing killed my brain cells.

Anyway, Friday night, after a long week at work I went out climbing with a guy from work (Mark), and a rather brilliant climber who I helped teach to climb (Hannah), and is now a rather good climber. She came 6th at the recent UK junior indoor bouldering championships at Cliffhanger, and 4th at the Junior British Leading championships. If you're not a climber just trust me when I say she's good!

We went to a place called Hen Cloud, which is just 10 minutes away from where I used to live, despite that I've only ever climbed there once before, we did one of the routes that I've done once before, that is supposedly a classic at its grade, i'd say it's alright, and has one desperately hard move if you're under 5'5", even Hannah said so, so it's not me being rubbish! The other 2 routes were also good, though from one I am now sporting a huge number of cuts and bruises after making the novice mistake of thinking that wedging myself in a crack would make things easier!
One notable thing, both at Hen Cloud, which has never been that popular, and at The Roaches, which always is, was the lack of other climbers. It's fair to say that this year has been a bit of a wash out, after a good April June and May were wet, very wet! August however has been a little better, so why on a sunny Friday evening, with a previous week of dry weather, so no wet excuses were there only 6 cars in the lay-by? When I think back to my childhood my Dad used to rush home from work so we could get out there and be able to park!

This weekend has been less adventurous, cooking, cleaning and tidying have been on the agenda, along with a well earned laze about!

No comments:

Post a Comment